Tuesday 18 May 2010

The Human Rights Act...

There has been much talk today over the case of two terrorist suspects being allowed to remain in the UK. I do not wish to discuss the case itself, but it is here. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8690572.stm

It does however re-raise the Conservative proposals to ditch the human rights act in favour of a 'British bill of rights'. It is very simple - this should not happen. The HRA must remain as the bedrock of the modern legal system. We have Liberal Democrats at the heart of government - they must stand up for the HRA, and oppose any motion which seeks to rescind what is currently in it.

The coalition talk of wanting to strengthen the rights of the individual - this issue could be the first test of that claim.

1 comment:

  1. I'm no less a Liberal for the coalition with the Tories, unless I change my views or stop speaking my mind!

    ReplyDelete